Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nicholas Walker <nick(at)walkerdatanet(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-08-26 07:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > SavePoints be able to use within functions. ( I think this involves
> > making procedures that execute outside of a transaction)
>
> Nope, supported in 8.0 for PL/pgSQL. Not sure about other languages.

You can't use savepoints, you can trap errors which is implemented using
savepoints. You still might want to write code like this:

BEGIN

SAVEPOINT foo;

IF SOME_ERROR_CODE = 1234 THEN
ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT foo;
END

You can write code like this if you issue each command from the client,
say using libpq, but not in pl/pgsql.

--
/Dennis Björklund