Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Nicholas Walker <nick(at)walkerdatanet(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-08-26 02:48:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nicholas,

You are a novice user, aren't you? ;-)

> I am just a novice end user, but I would like to see:
> SavePoints be able to use within functions. ( I think this involves
> making procedures that execute outside of a transaction)

Nope, supported in 8.0 for PL/pgSQL. Not sure about other languages.

> Cross Database references. (Available through dblink, but it would
> be better if it was supported natively)

You'll have to argue this one. We don't have them on purpose. Generally when
people want "cross-database queries" the problem is that they really should
be using schema.

> The ability to say create function foo () returns setof record(int,
> int , int). I believe this is coming in the next release though.

Well, we've had this for 3 versions as CREATE TYPE ... CREATE FUNCTION. INOUT
parameters in 8.1 will give you the above, effectively.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions