Re: PROPOSAL - User's exception in PL/pgSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL - User's exception in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2005-06-21 17:51:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Neil Conway wrote:

> Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > DECLARE excpt EXCEPTION [= 'SQLSTATE']
>
> What would this default to? (i.e. if no '= SQLSTATE' is specified)

I wont to prohibit synonyms in exception (every exception has unique
sqlstate). If I need better control for sqlstate - exception can leave one
function I can specify own sql state. If I need only name, its unimportant
sqlstate value.

> > Rules:
> > o User can specify SQLSTATE only from class 'U1'
> > o Default values for SQLSTATE usr excpt are from class 'U0'

It's my idiot implentation uniques sqlstates. No more ;-)

> Can you elaborate on what you mean?
>
> > o Every exception's variable has unique SQLSTATE
> > o User's exception or system's exception can be raised only with
> > level EXCEPTION
>
> It might be worth allowing a custom SQLSTATE to be specified for
> non-exception RAISEs -- there are already WARNING SQLSTATE error codes
> (see ERRCODE_WARNING).

Hmm. True. Maybe:

o System's exception can be raised with relevant level exception.

Regards
Pavel