Re: monetary bug

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Mahmoud Taghizadeh <m_taghi(at)yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: monetary bug
Date: 2004-08-23 12:52:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Karel Zak wrote:

> I think it's pretty extendable solution in contrast to the current
> hardcoded in/out datetypes functions.

Who are we formatting for? If the client wants the data in a specific
format then they can do SELECT to_char(...), or do the formatting in the
client all together.

If some client wants to render the column value as a bitmap image, let
them. We don't need to build in everything a client wants to do in the
server.

The database should manage data, presenting it to the user in different
ways are the job of a client.

--
/Dennis Björklund