Re: locale

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locale
Date: 2004-04-08 19:19:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> You're missing the point: strcoll() is not going to compare them as
> latin1 strings. It's going to interpret the bytes as utf-8 strings,
> because that's what LC_CTYPE will tell it to do.

My current understanding of what you are saying now is that LC_CTYPE is
always UTF-8 and all comparisons in the new database are going to be
wrong. This since all strings will be compared as if they where UTF-8.
LC_CTYPE is per cluster and not per database as some of the other LC_xxxx.

Yes, this actually makes sense. I really hope that this is the way it work
because I think I can understand this. I don't like it, but I can
understand what pg currently do, which is good (unless pg does something
else :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

--
/Dennis Björklund