Re: Translations in the distributions

From: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Translations in the distributions
Date: 2004-01-09 08:11:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> I seem to recall some discussion to the effect that the message catalog
> files have to be in the same encoding the database is using, because
> there's no provision in the backend for converting them on-the-fly.

Still, my cvs tree seems to work. The catalogues are still in latin1 and
fedora still uses utf-8. So something seems to have made it work (probably
Peter).

I know we have had some discussions in the past but I've never really got
the whole picture of the problem. In any way, now that distributions
starts to change to utf-8, it puts greater demands on us since one
encoding might not work as good anymore (it never really worked, but that
is another issue).

Maybe it all just works now and when redhat/fedora starts to use 7.4 all
will be fine. All I want it to make sure that it works. If it's not
working, it's something that I might spend some time on trying to fix.

--
/Dennis Björklund