Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date: 2003-11-25 10:54:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > Force all translations to be in unicode and convert to other client
> > encodings if needed. There is no need to support translations stored using
> > different encodings.
>
> Tell that to the Japanese.

I've always thought unicode was enough to even represent Japanese. Then
the client encoding can be something else that we can convert to. In any
way, the encoding of the message catalog has to be known to the system so
it can be converted to the correct encoding for the client.

> > Couldn't we use some library that already have this, like glib (or
> > something else). If it's not up to what we need, than fix that library
> > instead.
>
> I wasn't aware that glib had this. I'll look.

And I don't really know what demands pg has, but glib has a lot of support
functions for utf-8. At least we should take a look at it.

--
/Dennis