Using JDBC and libpq in the same process

From: Nicola Pero <nicola(at)brainstorm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using JDBC and libpq in the same process
Date: 2003-10-09 11:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I have to work on some software which is using JDBC and libpq (via JNI) in
the same process to connect to the same Postgres database. The software
is heavily multithreaded.

When running under heavy loads and accessing the database under JDBC and
libpq at the same time, we get obscure JVM crashes.

Before I even start debugging this, I wanted to ask - is there any known
fundamental reason why JDBC and libpq should *not* be used at the same
time in the same process ?