Re: client encodings

From: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client encodings
Date: 2003-06-17 08:12:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > However, if you want to produce a utf-8 file, how should that work with
> > respect to gettext()? If the message catalog is in latin1 then we need to
> > know that and convert that into utf-8.
>
> I don't think all gettext implementations support automatic character set
> conversion.

I agree. They don't.

> We might have to roll our own sometime

That was why I asked if we could simply have all message catalogs as
utf-8, then we know what charset the strings are in and can easily convert
it to whatever we have set our client encoding to.

> but for now it's not an option.

What has to be decided is if we are going to generate output that is only
in the client encoding or not. If you just output the strings in the
message catalog then we will not produce validating output. Then the best
thing we can do is simply to take the message catalog string and discard
everything that does not work in the current client encoding.

--
/Dennis