Re: sql_ascii

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql_ascii
Date: 2003-06-16 12:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dennis Björklund writes:

> Why do we have SQL_ASCII?

It gives a simple default behavior for people who don't want to deal with
character set issues.

> I could understand it if we only could store 7-bit strings there. But
> SQL_ASCII lets you store 8-bit values. Should I understand SQL_ASCII
> simply as 8-bit strings of unknown charset?

Something like that. On the client side you could also understand it as
whatever the server is using, as long as that's single-byte. On the
server side it's 7-bit clean and 8-bit sometimes-clean. It's not pretty.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net