Re: look for latest user login in one table from a list of

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: "Sill-II, Stephen" <Stephen(dot)Sill-II(at)ost(dot)dot(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: look for latest user login in one table from a list of
Date: 2003-03-14 21:14:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Sill-II, Stephen wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with an efficient way to do the following task, but I
> haven't found the correct join syntax to do it.
>
> I have table "users" for keeping a list of users I need to check logins for.
> It contains the following fields:
>
> id,Full-Name,User-Name
>
> I have table called "logs" that contains the actual radius log data. The
> three fields I am concerned with are:
>
> User-Name,Date,Time
>
> I have gotten thus far almost what I want with the following query.
>
> SELECT users."User-Name",max(logs."Date") as login_date,max(logs."Time") as
> login_time FROM logs where logs."User-Name"=users."User-Name" GROUP BY
> users."User-Name";

Try
foo=# SELECT users.name,someq.mlast from users left outer join (select
id,max(last) as mlast from log group by id) as someq using(id);

substituting with your names.

> This gives me the User-Name, date, and time of people WHO HAVE LOGGED IN.
> I'm looking to have a query that returns all of the users in the first
> table, including those who have not logged in. I have an external perl
> script that generates a nice html report for the manager. I have a script
> that parses the raw .csv files, but I'm trying to move it entirely to
> postgres, including if possible stored-procedures in plperl. I already have
> a perl script that imports the raw log files into the logs table.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Sill II

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel: +30-210-8981112
fax: +30-210-8981877
email: achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com
mantzios(at)softlab(dot)ece(dot)ntua(dot)gr