Re: location of the configuration files

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 21:25:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw writes:

> AFAIK it wasn't actually done. It was more of a, "we should do something
> different" argument. At one point it was talked about rewriting the
> configuration system to allow "include" and other things.

The core of the problem was, and continues to be, this: If you move
postgresql.conf somewhere else, then someone else will also want to move
pg_hba.conf and all the rest. And that opens up a number of security and
cumbersome-to-install problems.

Just having an option that says, the configuration file is "there", is a
first step but not a complete solution.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net