Re: Status report: regex replacement

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: hannu(at)tm(dot)ee, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Status report: regex replacement
Date: 2003-02-11 17:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > UTF-8 seems to be the most popular, but even XML standard requires all
> > compliant implementations to deal with at least both UTF-8 and UTF-16.
>
> I don't think PostgreSQL is going to natively support UTF-16.

At FOSDEM it was claimed that Windows natively uses UCS-2, and there are
also continuing rumours that the Java Unicode encoding is not quite UTF-8,
so there is going to be a certain pressure to support other Unicode
encodings besides UTF-8.

As for the names, the SQL standard defines most of those.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net