Re: hiding normalization with views

From: Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshua(at)iocc(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hiding normalization with views
Date: 2002-10-08 20:04:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 8 Oct 2002, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Sometimes, you can go too "normalization happy". Yes, it's academically
> correct, and you save a little disk space, but disks are cheap, and
> you add bunches of extra joins to each query.

Yes, I thought about that, too. The big thing to me is that with the
system we currently use (flat files) there are quite a lot of typos.
For the city/state this is not a big deal but the ZIP code it is.
We did a mailing around 6 months ago with about 50 return-to-senders
many of which were stupid typos. I don't think the normalization will
solve all my problems, but it will at least be something.

Also, just for the discussion, we're also talking about instead of
a separate table just having the (java) client reading a configuration file
with the common values for autocompletion.