Re: hacker help: PHP-4.2.3 patch to allow restriction of

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: hacker help: PHP-4.2.3 patch to allow restriction of
Date: 2002-09-29 12:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Mercer writes:

> the reasoning for this is that postmaster has no ability to differentiate
> between incoming sessions, and as such, storing the list in the server makes
> no sense, the server won't know how to apply the list.

Right, but libpq also has no concept of what you call "incoming session".
PHP is the first interface that came up with that notion. If we have more
clients requesting that kind of support, we can think about it, but for
now you should think of putting it into PHP first.

> well, for my purposes, it is _databases_ i'm more concerned about.

OK, so *you* put

local sameuser ...

into pg_hba.conf and be done. The rest of the user community can decide
for themselves. This is especially important since with the arrival of
schemas there is a whole new way to manage multiple users on a server,
which other users might be interested in.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net