Re: If there a bug in the psql or just a feature .

From: Vanmunin Chea <vac(at)cse(dot)unsw(dot)EDU(dot)AU>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: If there a bug in the psql or just a feature .
Date: 2002-09-10 15:22:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the tips, Tom. I have that feeling from the start
(with the two different implementation) but never actually have a chance
to confirm with someone.

1. It there a way to store the dynamic array at all ?

I notice psql has a similar type - Single Dynamic Dimensional
Array. However there isn't any built in operators(<,<=,==,>,>=) for Array
to do sorting.

2. Can I write one up ?

regards,
Van.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vanmunin Chea <vac(at)cse(dot)unsw(dot)EDU(dot)AU> writes:
> > // This one is not working
> > typedef struct Myindex {
> > double *indexes;
> > int level;
> > int size;
> > } Myindex
>
> You cannot use a pointer inside a Postgres datatype. The system will
> have no idea that the pointer is there and so will not copy the
> pointed-to data, nor update the pointer, when the datum is copied,
> stored on disk, etc.
>
> regards, tom lane

Vanmunin Chea