Re: Multibyte support in oracle_compat.c

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, <eutm(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Multibyte support in oracle_compat.c
Date: 2002-09-04 22:46:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > Functions upper,lower and initcap doesn't work with utf-8 data

The backend routines use the host OS locales, so look there. On my
machine I have several Russian locales, which seem to address the issue of
character sets:

ru_RU
ru_RU.koi8r
ru_RU.utf8
ru_UA
russian

This is bogus, because the LC_CTYPE choice is cluster-wide and the
encoding choice is database-specific (in other words: it's broken), but
there's nothing we can do about that right now.

> > P.S.It doesn't seem bad for me to use lib unicode instead of functions like mbtowc,wctomb from stdlib and towupper,towlower from wctype
>
> I'm not sure. What do you think, Peter or other guys who is familiar
> with Unicode?

I don't know that that libunicode is, but that shouldn't prevent us from
possibly evaluating it. :-)

Btw., I just happened to think about this very issue over the last few
days. What I would like to attack for the next release is to implement
character classification and conversion using the Unicode tables so we can
cut the LC_CTYPE system locale out of the picture. Perhaps this is what
the poster was thinking of, too.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net