Unintegrated stuff in source tree

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unintegrated stuff in source tree
Date: 2002-07-09 22:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There seems to have been an accumulation lately of stuff that was simply
dumped into the source tree without any sort of integration. I am
particularly talking about interfaces/ssl and interfaces/libpqxx. No
doubt both of these things are useful in the end, but as they are right
now they're a headache waiting to happen.

Could someone try to address the following issues?

SSL:

* A bunch of cryptic configuration files -- what do they do?

* Weird shell scripts -- what do they do?

* The shell scripts are written in a completely unportable fashion and
have inappropriate names (surely PostgreSQL isn't the only application in
the world that allows to "mkcert").

* They don't even belong into interfaces.

* No build instructions, let alone a makefile.

Libpqxx:

* I'm no C++ whizz, but I guarantee that this coding style is not nearly
as portable as we've tried to make libpq++ be. Who wants to answer those
support calls all over again?

* What's the deal with libpq++ vs. libpqxx? Who's going to want to
explain that to the crowd for the next 5 years?

* Bogus Automake stuff -- hurts my eyes. ;-)

* Doxygen -- is that going to be a quasi-required tool now?

* Bonus points for documentation in DocBook format -- but unfortunately
version 4.1, and unfortunately not integrated with the rest of the
documentation set.

* No build integration.

* Why are half the text files executable?

Personally, I'm uneasy about carrying around another interface library
that appears to have no basis in any sort of standard.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net