Re: I need minimum specs for running PostgreSQL

From: "Wm(dot) G(dot) Urquhart" <wgu(at)wurquhart(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "David(dot)Lofstrand(at)surgical-science(dot)com" <David(dot)Lofstrand(at)surgical-science(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I need minimum specs for running PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-05-22 13:48:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 22 May 2002, David(dot)Lofstrand(at)surgical-science(dot)com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody have some kind of minimum specs for running the PostgreSQL on
> a PC-server (cygwin)?

Hi,

The thing with this kind of question is there are min specs and min specs,
since there are so many variable to take into consideration. Data load,
concurrency, usage (select -v- update / insert), indicies used,
structuring of query etc.

I'd be bold to say you'd get respectable performance from a Pentium PII
with 256K Ram on Unix. But Windows is well Windoze. I think you'd be
looking at a 500Mhz x 512Mb at min. But this is my opinion others will no
doubt tell a different story.

It's not much I know but you really need to provide a bit more information
as to the intentions of the server before you can realistically expect to
get a real life idea of hardware requirements.

Do you have this information?

--
Regards,

Wm. G. Urquhart