Re: Turning column into row

From: "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA(at)rki(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning column into row
Date: 2002-05-22 10:28:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Use Perl?
Well, I just started to write a Python script, but it showes to
make some effort to accomplish the same I did in a simple shell script
before. I use an intermediate output using some PostgreSQL functions
and CASE statements to get a raw ASCII output which was formatted
quite nicely for this purpose by a single SELECT statement into
a proper sized table. It would cost a fair amount of Perl/Python/Whatever
code to do the same.

I know that this is a problem which is quite hard in plain SQL but
I've thought I could do some magic using plpgsql-FUNCTIONS but I
failed to solve it.

Kind regards

Andreas.