Re: Database corruption?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vadim Mikheev <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Database corruption?
Date: 2001-10-23 03:15:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> > FATAL 2: XLogFlush: request is not satisfied
>
> We had a previous report of this same failure message --- see
> the thread starting at
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1033586

All right, I'll give it a try next week.

> Since you have the database tarball, you have the
> raw material to look into it --- you'd need to rebuild Postgres with
> debug symbols enabled and trace back from the failure points to learn
> more. Are you up to that, or could you grant access to your machine to
> someone who is?

I am. I'll rebuild and then maybe you'll see what gives.

> Um, Vadim? Still of the opinion that elog(STOP) is a good idea here?
> That's two people now for whom that decision has turned localized
> corruption into complete database failure. I don't think it's a good
> tradeoff.

Well, if there's this reset xlog bussiness I don't think that'd be
necessary: just point it out. Had I known... but now the problem is
solved.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[(at)]atentus(dot)com>)
"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)