Re: BUG #2731: Cannot install PostgreSQL server on WinXP

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Leonid Shlyapnikov <lshlyapnikov(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2731: Cannot install PostgreSQL server on WinXP
Date: 2006-11-04 17:55:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> Leonid,
>
> It is strange but after I gave postmaster.exe process access to the Internet
> > (changed my personal firewall settings), PostgreSQL service starts OK. Why
> > does postmaster.exe need access to the Internet?
> >
> > PostgreSQL / postmaster.exe do not need to connect to the Internet. But
> communication is done via TCP/IP; and PostgreSQL needs to open Port 5432
> (standard) and listen for requests. So when your firewall forbids PostgreSQL
> to listen on Port 5433 for incoming requests, it may commit suicide, because
> it cannot do any usefull work anymore.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Harald

Windows has another bug; they don't include a proper loopback function
with the standard distribution _and_ they have some asenine view that if
there's no physical network connection available, they tear down the
network stack! This means that anything that connects with TCP/IP can't
work, even if it's to the local machine. I consider this idiocy, but,
there's windows for you in a nutshell...

However, you _can_ find a proper "loopback driver", I think they call it -
software, of course. Also, I carry in my laptop case a special HARDWARE
loopback connector! It's an RJ45 that has the wires crossed over. I use it
when I'm at a customer site or otherwise "away from home" and my customer
doesn't have the software loopback - plug my loopback connector into any
"twisted pair ethernet" socket and suddenly the TCP/IP software works
fine!

Oh the joys of dealing with Windows.

Richard

P.S. You can't get one of these RJ45 loopback connectors commercially, I
don't think, but I can send you directions - or make one for you if you
send me a tenner! -smile- RT

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation