Hi ...Inheritance in postgres 7.3.4 reg.

From: K-Sudhakaran <sudhakar(at)ncb(dot)ernet(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hi ...Inheritance in postgres 7.3.4 reg.
Date: 2004-07-22 04:31:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi/Hello Postgres Team!

Me Sudhakaran, working for a software R&D institution located in Bangalore
city of India.

I feel that, if a table (entity) inherits another parent table(entity),
the primary key should be unique accross all the inherited tables. That is
the real inheritance otherwise I feel it is a mere containment of
structure what we have in postgres 7.3.4.

Because, say for example, as in my application domain, if a staff member
inherits citizen, it means that, when a staff instance is added to staff
entity, then it takes role in citizen (its parent) entity by default as
after all every staff is a citizen.

I am interested in contributing for this effort's special feature.
Can I know which source code files I may have 2 explore to
understand the Inheritance implementation in postgres 7.3.4 which I am
using right now in my application development.

Hope you would encourage me going ahead in this open source way of getting
wanted things, by your postive response out of your bussy schedules.

Thanx a lot.

Kind regards
K.Sudhakaran

K.Sudhakaran
Staff Scientist
#68 National Centre for Software Technology
Electronic City,Hosur Road
Bangalore. 561 229
Phone. 8523300 Extn 2404

Love all Serve All