Re: Learning PostgreSQL

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Gevik Babakhani <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Learning PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-07 21:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
> >
> > > Wow, $100.
> >
> > Well, it's a CS textbook -- I have several textbooks this semester that
> > are > $100.
> >
> > > Does it cover internals?
> >
> > Yeah, although it's more of a broad survey of DB-related topics, so the
> > internals coverage isn't that in-depth. It talks about storage/indexing
> > (the heap, ISAM/B+-tree indexes, hash indexes, etc.), query evaluation,
> > query optimization, transaction management & concurrency control.
> >
> > That book just happens to be the one on my desk, but there are plenty of
> > alternatives that cover the same subject matter.
> >
> > Perhaps you could add this to the developer's FAQ?
>
> Yes, is this the book we should recommend? I know we have Gray's
> transaction book on there already.

I just got a message from Wiley about new tech books but can't justify a
desk copy as I only teach part time at a two year college and not
database. But ... I looked at a sample chapter and saw PostgreSQL as the
RDBMS. That was a plus in my book.
The author is Richard Watson and I feel I know the name but can't place
him.

http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471347116,courseCd-IS1900.html

Rod