Re: feature request: show pgsql version when running initdb

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: feature request: show pgsql version when running initdb
Date: 2003-09-26 14:18:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> >>Is there any chance we could have initdb show the version of postgresql
> >>it is running as when initdb is run?
> >

> > If you install many different versions in parallel, don't you give your
> > installation paths some meaning that contain the version number? In any
> > case, you can run initdb --version first if you're not sure about what is
> > where.
>
> Yes I do, but sometimes as different users you don't know what the path
> is. I guess I can just go --version.

Anytime I'm running multple versions on the same box, I install them to
paths like /usr/local/pgsql72 and create a user like pgsql72 and then set
it so the path for that use is /usr/local/pgsql72/bin.

that way, just looking at the command prompt I know which version /
superuser I'm playing with. Plus, no matter how badly I try to screw up,
pgsql72 doen't have permission to initdb pgsql73's $PGDATA directory.