Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, Scott Holmes <scottholmes(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL
Date: 2003-09-19 15:57:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Martin Marques wrote:

> El Jue 18 Sep 2003 20:34, scott.marlowe escribió:
> >
> > they still claim to have ACID compliance, an issue I've discussed with a
> > few of the folks from MySQL AB. To them, the C in ACID only implies fk
> > constraints. The fact that they ignore base type constraints (i.e. insert
> > 8 billion into an int4 and it just sets the field to the max value an int4
> > can hold (2gig) and generates no error seems to not bother them.
>
> You mean that when they hit the limit, all other inserts have the MAX value?
> That would be terrible!

Yes it would. And it's exacly how MySQL works:

lookee here:

mysql> create table test (i1 int, i2 numeric(6,2) not null);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into test values (12345678901234,123456.23);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from test;
| i1 | i2 |
| 2147483647 | 99999.99 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Hey, nice database to run payroll on, huh? Happens with innodb tables
too. So how can they logically claim the C in ACID, when the data I put
in is not the data that got inserted? What's the word to describe that
behaviour? Inconsistent. :-)