Re: Scalability (both vertical and horizontal)?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
Cc: "Duffey, Kevin" <KDuffey(at)marketron(dot)com>, PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scalability (both vertical and horizontal)?
Date: 2003-09-18 21:32:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Duffey, Kevin wrote:
> >

> >>We are looking for information regarding any capabilities of PostgreSQL
> >>in regards to scalability. Ideally we want to be able to scale in both
> >>directions. What sort of solutions are out there for either or both
> >>directions of scalability? Specifically, open-source solutions would be
> >>most in need, but commercial applications are fine as well.
> >>

> >As for horizontal scaling, you could look at ERserver for that. Setup one
> >master writer and a bunch of slave boxes to handle the majority of the
> >queries. There's not been a bunch of work into horizontal scaling really,
> >with most of the clustering software for postgresql aiming at failover /
> >high availability, not massive parallelization of read and / or writes.
> >
> Are there any databases that do well in horizontal scaling? What really
> *IS* Oracle Real Application Clusters?

I've heard Vax Clusters running RDB do well.

TPF on a mainframe is highly recommended by Sabre, the Airline reservation
folks.

I've heard horror stories about RAC though.

I don't think there's anysuch thing as an easily configurable high
performance clustering solution. The better the run the more
infrastructure (hardware, software, support) they seem to need.