Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-01 20:29:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Chad N. Tindel wrote:

> Excellent! That is exactly what I'm talking about.
>
> BTW, the "my2pg.pl" link is a dead link.

This is probably something that could be codified a bit here in the news
group.

I'd say the pitfalls I'm aware of are:

autoincrement fields -> sequences
full text indexing -> fts/tsearch etc...
enum -> check constraint
vacuum / analyze
simple performance tuning (out of the box the postgresql.conf settings
aren't really all that great, but they let postgresql come up on almost
anything.)
pg_hba.conf default setting that doesn't allow tcp/ip connections
not being able to run postgresql as root (a good thing TM)