Re: SET CONSTRAINTS not schema-aware

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET CONSTRAINTS not schema-aware
Date: 2003-05-15 17:00:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

from the prelim sql92 standard:

Syntax Rules

1) If a <constraint name definition> is contained in a <schema
def-
inition>, and if the <constraint name> contains a <schema
name>,
then that <schema name> shall be the same as the specified or
implicit <schema name> of the containing <schema definition>.

2) The <qualified identifier> of <constraint name> shall be
differ-
ent from the <qualified identifier> of the <constraint name>
of
any other constraint defined in the same schema.

Further along, talking about drop schema, it says:

4) Let A be the <constraint name> of any assertion contained in
S. The following <drop assertion statement> is effectively
exe-
cuted:

DROP ASSERTION A

S is the schema, so it would appear they do mean that constraints are
"contained" so to speak by a schema.