Re: How to hook up Access to Postgres?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: Scott Chapman <scott_list(at)mischko(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to hook up Access to Postgres?
Date: 2003-05-07 15:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6 May 2003, Doug McNaught wrote:

> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
>
> > If postgresql was built with the --enable-odbc switch, you're done the on
> > the postgresql end. 'pg_config --configure' will tell you if it was. If
> > it wasn't, you may need to rebuild postgresql to get it working.
>
> What does --enable-odbc do? I didn't set it and I'm running fine with
> Windows clients.

It tells postgresql to build with the odbc interface. RPM and
dpkg installs are usually built with it, so if you're running from
packages it's probably already been done for you.

> > He shouldn't have to do anything else on the Unix side, all the rest of
> > the configuration is handled in windows / odbc.
>
> I'll second that--I have an Access app working pretty well against
> Posgres 7.3.2.

Yeah, I have a couple of Windows / FoxPro / Access / MSSQL folks using my
postgresql test server for testing and it's pretty straight forward.
Install postgresql's windows odbc driver, create a connector, connect.