Re: installation problem

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: DIB Walid <walid(dot)dib(at)inrialpes(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installation problem
Date: 2003-04-09 17:52:20
Lists: pgsql-php

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, DIB Walid wrote:

> I install Apache 1.3.20, php 4.0.5 and postgresql 7.1.2
>
> When i try to connect to the db with the pg_connect function i got this error
> message:
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in
> /home/helix/dib/public_html/connexion.php on line 3
>
> i search in the documentation and th web and there is no real solution, i
> configure PHP with this option:
> --with-pgsql=shared
> when i start the database process i use:
> postmaster -i -D $PGDATA

Two suggestions:

1: update all three packages, as they have known security flaws you
shouldn't be using those old versions. I'd recommend the latest of each,
postgresql 7.3.2, php 4.3.whatever, and apache 1.3.27.

2: Just use the --with-pgsql switch alone, and see if the php ./configure
script can find it. the only thing I've ever needed to make things work
on Linux was to edit the /etc/ld.so.conf file and add a line for
/usr/local/pgsql/lib and run ldconfig. Other than that, the configure
script has always just found postgresql for me.