Re: Bug #878: different format of float values in 7.2.and

From: "Denis N(dot) Stepanov" <D(dot)N(dot)Stepanov(at)inp(dot)nsk(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #878: different format of float values in 7.2.and
Date: 2003-01-20 15:24:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

TL> pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
TL> > The following line:
TL> > SELECT 1875/1000.0
TL> > produces different results. In 7.2.3 it is:
TL> > ?column?
TL> > ---------------------
TL> > 1.875
TL>
TL> > while in 7.3.1 it is:
TL> > ?column?
TL> > ---------------------
TL> > 1.87500000000000000
TL>
TL> The above expression is taken as NUMERIC datatype in 7.3, rather than
TL> FLOAT8 as it was in 7.2. To get the same output as before, try
TL> SELECT 1875/1000.0::float8;

Thanks. The main thing I understood is that it was done intentionally. Is there
a kind of document (mail message maybe) that describes the intentions to make
typecasts more strict and/or pecularities of such changes? I guess many users
faced with similar problems, probably it was already explained somewhere.

--
Regards,
Den.