Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)
Date: 2002-02-13 22:45:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ok, here's a lot more information on the problem.

Regardless of trying to remember which driver we used before and if it
worked then or not, we are seeing this problem now. So, we did a lot more
research on it and found got some interesting results.

We are almost certain that the driver we were using before (when we are
almost positive we did not see this problem) was the psqlodbcplus driver
released 04/01/2001. In "Data Sources (ODBC)" / "Drivers" menu, it shows
7.01.00.00 as the version.

Then we loaded on the latest driver which "Data Sources (ODBC)" / "Drivers"
menu shows as version 7.01.00.07, and we started seeing this problem.

So, we re-loaded the old driver (which we no longer had on our system and had
to find and are pretty sure it was the one from 04/01/2001). That is the
driver we are using now.

But wait -

The client we are using, ESRI's ArcView, actually provides 2 ways of
extracting the data from the database.

1) The first way, is using it's menu option "SQLConnect". When we use this
option, the data comes back correct! Yay. But, of course, this is *not*
what we need to do our work. Darn. But it works.

2) The second way, is to use their menu option or "Add Database Table". With
this option, the time data comes back as today's date. This is what we
need to do our work.

So, we turned on the "CommLog (C:\psqlodbc.log)" option for the driver.

I have attached the output from #1 and #2 to this mail:
1) psqlodbc-756.log is the ouput for try #1 (the one that returns the time
correctly).
2) psqlodbc-536.log is the output for try #2 (the one that returns today's
date instead of time).

I can see some differences in the two outputs:
A) The "nDriverCompletion value is different. For #1 it is 1, for #2 it
is 3. What is this value? Is it meaningful / pertinent?

B) The "sqltype" value is different. For #1 it is "40277776", for #2 it
is "47027984". The "sqltype" value is the same for each and every column
but it is different between #1 and #2. Meaningful / pertinent?

C) The driver connection between the two seems to happen differently?

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help,

Laurette

--