Re: Authentification

From: Andreas Tille <tillea(at)rki(dot)de>
To: Debian PostgreSQL Liste <debian-postgresql(at)mailman(dot)atnet(dot)at>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Authentification
Date: 2001-06-22 07:36:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I´m using PostgreSQL 7.1.2 (from Debian). My pg_hba.conf looks like
>
> > # default
> > local all peer sameuser
>
> There is no such authentication type as "peer".
Hmm, seems to be a bug in the Debian package.
>From /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf:

# peer: Authentication is done as for ident, but by obtaining user
# identification from the Unix socket credentials. (This
# service is only supported by a few operating systems. If
# it is not usable in a particular implementation, use of
# this method will cause an error.) Username mapping is
# exactly the same as for ident.

BUT:
If I remove the above line I get

_pg.error: No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user testuser, database test

conn = DB('test')

which worked *with* the line. The the peer authentication type "peer" seems
to exist in the way it is described in the pg_hba.conf comment and is
necessary for the socket authentification via ident.
The same message do I get when trying the crypt athentication as in my
original question.

So it seems the line is evident for my setup.

Kind regards

Andreas.