Re: MacOS X Shared Buffers (SHMMAX)?

From: "Command Prompt, Inc(dot)" <pgsql-general(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Seidman <gss+pg(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MacOS X Shared Buffers (SHMMAX)?
Date: 2002-05-22 18:57:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>Command Prompt, Inc. sez:
>[...]
>}Okay, so it appears to be when it's checking sockets for data in
>}src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c, line 1579...I just tried re-building the
>}kernel with a higher value for kern.ipc.maxsockets but that didn't have
>}any effect, still get that error.
>}
>}Anyone have any ideas on what specifically would cause this part of pgstat
>}to fail?
>Recompiling the kernel was necessary to change the shared memory limit, but
>kern.ipc.maxsockets can be changed on the fly with sysctl.

Hm. I tried that, with "sysctl -w kern.ipcmaxsockets=2048", and got:

sysctl: oid 'kern.ipc.maxsockets' is read only

>It might be getting changed in one of the scripts (perhaps SystemTuning) in
>/System/Library/StartupItems (there are also sometimes scripts in
>/Library/StartupItems; both directories are used in the startup process).
>When your system is up and running, try sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockets and see
>if the value is what you expected. If not, dig around in the StartupItems
>directories and see if something is changing it.

After recompile it is actually the value I expected. It appears that the
problem is something less clear. :/

Jw.
--
jlx(at)commandprompt(dot)com
by way of pgsql-general(at)commandprompt(dot)com