Debugging symbols by default

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Debugging symbols by default
Date: 2002-04-05 22:55:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We had discussed a while ago that it might be a good idea to compile with
debugging symbols by default, at least when using GCC. Personally, I
think that that would be a good idea, for users and developers alike.

If we go with that, I'd like to implement a new target 'install-strip'
that strips the binaries while they are installed, as a compensation if
you will. (It strips the libraries in intelligent ways, too.)

This could be a win-win situation. Developers don't need to type
--enable-debug all the time, users don't need to recompile when we ask
them to trace a bug, and if you're pressed for disk space then
'install-strip' will save you even more space than simply omitting
debugging symbols. (Or you can keep the unstripped binaries around
elsewhere for debugging -- the possibilities are endless ;-) )

Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net