Re: pg_upgrade

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2002-01-11 05:19:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian writes:

> I will not enable it until everyone agrees. Are there people interested
> in this tool being in 7.2, or who are against this tool being in 7.2?

You're not going to like my opinion, but I'm going to put it forth anyway.
We've been working on this release for half a year, and there have been
far too many last-minute bright ideas that should have been postponed.
The fact that someone is going to want to upgrade their installation from
a previous release didn't just occur to us yesterday, so while this
development effort is commendable, this is just not the time. I'm not
even going to list any technical reasons here, you can make up your own
list because you're looking at the code. I'm just looking at the emails
and it gives me the creeps already.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net