Re: Open items

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2001-11-15 16:15:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> I'll guess that the reference system has changed. I can't freeze my OS
> at some 1996 (or 2000) vintage version to guarantee that results never
> change. I went the last year or two with that geometry test failing for
> me. I'm not sure what results I'd get with the latest glibc, but once I
> upgrade we'll find out.

I don't mind which system is the "reference" and which ones are
resultmap-enabled, since this is really only an implementation detail.
However, by changing the expected results of a test without the test input
changing, you implicitly deprecate all systems for which this test used to
pass, and there were plenty of them, otherwise we wouldn't have all those
Linux systems in the supported list.

Nevertheless, Mandrake is just about the last OS I would trust to be a
"reference" for floating point results. I will point out that for me the
geometry test did not change when I updated from Red Hat 5.2 to 7.0, and
various other Linux distributions apparently accepted the previous results
as well. Shades of -ffast-math come to mind...

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net