Re: how do the pro's do this? (still a newbie)

From: "Command Prompt, Inc(dot)" <pgsql-general(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gunnar Lindholm <gunnar(at)gunix(dot)mine(dot)nu>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how do the pro's do this? (still a newbie)
Date: 2001-11-03 17:48:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Gunnar Lindholm wrote:
>>Well, my only suggestion is:
>>> ivad := nextval("vad_seq");
>> ^^^^^^^^^
>>Should the name be in single quotes?
>Then I get this error...
>ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "vad_seq"
>so there is something I've done wrong, but I can't see....

Are you escaping the single quotes properly? Remember that your PL/pgSQL
function definition is itself bound by single quotes, so inside the code
definition for CREATE FUNCTION that line should look like:

ivad := nextval(''vad_seq'');
or even:
ivad := nextval(\'vad_seq\');

Regards,
Jw.
--
jlx(at)commandprompt(dot)com
by way of pgsql-general(at)commandprompt(dot)com