Re: European date format option

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Nigel Gilbert <N(dot)Gilbert(at)soc(dot)surrey(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: European date format option
Date: 2001-09-03 19:50:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Nigel Gilbert writes:

> The online documentation for SET says:
>
> Running postmaster using the option -o -e to set dates to the
^^^^^^^^^^

> European convention.
>
> but attempting to do this results in:
>
> $ pg_ctl start -o -e
^^^^^^
> postmaster successfully started
> $ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: illegal option -- e
> Try '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster --help' for more information.

> Is this a bug in postmaster or in the documentation? Is there a
> workaround (I need all the dates for all connections to be in
> DD-MM-YYYY format)?

That's not what you're going to get out of it anyway. ("European" is a
much too general term.) It's better not to rely in these settings.
Instead, explicitly format your values using the to_char() function.
(Set up a view or three if needed.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter