Re: Postgresql log analyzer

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Gilles DAROLD <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql log analyzer
Date: 2001-08-21 15:49:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Gilles DAROLD writes:

> Is it possible to have it into the last line as we have the information of
> the database
> shutdown timestamp in the first line ?

We not just turn time stamping on?

> Also, an other question is why using timestamp into the other log instead of
> the value
> of time in seconds since the Epoch like the time() function do ?

Because humans generally reckon time the former way.

> I don't know if it is speedest or not but if timestamp is system local
> dependant
> I think it should be very difficult to me to have a portable log analyzer...

In the current system, the timestamp is not locale dependent, but that
doesn't mean that it could be in the future. (I wouldn't find it
particularly useful, because the current format is internationally
readable.)

What *is* locale dependent are the messages, though. Not sure how you
plan to deal with that.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter