Re: encoding names

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: encoding names
Date: 2001-08-17 17:56:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> I use Makefile.shlib to create each shared object. This way is, I
> think, handy and portble. However, I need to make lots of subdirs for
> each encoding conversion function. Any suggestions?

Given Tom Lane's comment, I think that this would be a wasted effort.
Shared objects are normally used for extensibility at runtime, not core
memory savings. (This would most likely take more memory in fact, given
that the code is larger and you need all the shared object handling
infrastructure.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter