Re: FATAL 1

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <newsreader(at)mediaone(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FATAL 1
Date: 2001-08-10 14:50:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane writes:

> Probably. If your *postmaster* is running out of memory then you have
> some serious problems. (But: we have had memory-leak problems in the
> past in certain authentication paths. What PG version are you running,
> anyway?)

I think the behaviour is that if the system as a whole runs out of memory
(physical + swap or whatever) the kernel randomly kills processes to make
room. So a disappearing postmaster is not necessarily a sign of a fault
on PostgreSQL's part. I'm not sure how to configure the kernel in this
area, I just recall the discussion on the kernel mailing list about
whether the init process would be allowed to be randomly killed as well.
(I kid you not.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter