Re: pg_depend

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_depend
Date: 2001-07-16 19:42:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> I have found that many TODO items would benefit from a pg_depend table
> that tracks object dependencies. TODO updated.

I'm not so convinced on that idea. Assume you're dropping object foo.
You look at pg_depend and see that objects 145928, 264792, and 1893723
depend on it. Great, what do you do now?

Every system catalog (except the really badly designed ones) already
contains dependency information. What might help is that we make the
internal API for altering and dropping any kind of object more consistent
and general so that they can call each other in the dependency case.
(E.g., make sure none of them require whereToSendOutput or parser state as
an argument.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter