Re: Re: Problems with avg on interval data type

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, <jeremy(at)horizonlive(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Problems with avg on interval data type
Date: 2001-05-19 00:55:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> I suggest that the current code is more correct than you think ;-).
> ISTM it is a good idea to require a units field, or at least some
> punctuation giving a clue about units --- for example I do not object to
> '08:00' being interpreted as hours and minutes. But I would be inclined
> to reject all four of the forms '+8', '-8', '8.0', and '8' as ambiguous.
> Is there something in the SQL spec that requires us to accept them?

Our interval is quite a bit different from the SQL version. In SQL, an
interval value looks like this:

INTERVAL -'5 12:30:15.3' DAY TO SECOND

The unit qualifier is required. Consequentially, I would reject anything
without units, except '0' maybe.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter