New tests for new bugs (was Re: [BUGS] Re: backend dies on 7.1.1 loading large datamodel.)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New tests for new bugs (was Re: [BUGS] Re: backend dies on 7.1.1 loading large datamodel.)
Date: 2001-05-08 20:17:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> > Will the patch include a case for the regression test? Or could someone
> > (other than me??!!) volunteer to cover that?
>
> Seems like a good idea. As the embarrassee, I'm perhaps too close
> to the problem to write a good addition to the regress tests; any
> volunteers?

The query that showed the bug would serve just fine.

Actually, this practice should be much more widely deployed. For each
bug, a test case should be added to guard against the bug coming back.
At least when a suitable testing infrastructure exists. For instance,
this would probably apply to each of the backend bug fixes that came in
the last few days.

Maybe it's too cumbersome to update the regression tests? Should the
files be split into smaller pieces?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter