Re: --enable-perl doesn't like Solaris

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: --enable-perl doesn't like Solaris
Date: 2001-03-25 14:56:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Justin Clift (jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au) reports a bug with a severity of 3

> It appears that the ./configure script is defining -KPIC somewhere in
> the perl interface stuff, and this is causing the "make" to bomb out.
> I'm pretty sure from memory that -KPIC is not something that gcc on
> Solaris likes, and will need to be -fPIC -shared or something else.

The Perl build environment is not provided by us, it comes from the
ExtUtils::MakeMaker module. MakeMaker is misdesigned in that it assumes
that the user will use the same compiler for building his modules as the
one he used for building perl itself. So if you got Perl from Sun, then
it's likely to have been compiled by Sun's cc.

Solution 1 is to hack MakeMaker and/or the Makefile it generates to fix
the options. (Replacing -KPIC by -fPIC might do.)

Solution 2 is to recompile Perl with gcc. This would also give you a
chance to build a shared libperl, so you can use PL/Perl.