Re: Foreign keys/unique values and views

From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun(at)cs(dot)Helsinki(dot)FI>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign keys/unique values and views
Date: 2001-03-22 14:11:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Richard Huxton wrote:

> I have to admit I've never tried referencing a view with a foreign key. I
> don't know if it's possible and I have to admit the idea makes me
> uncomfortable. Can't give a good reason why, but I'd apply constraints at
> the table level.
if one can reference a table with a foreign key it makes possible to
reference inheritance hierarchies. If I create a view from the parent
with CREATE VIEW name SELECT * FROM parent; (in v.7.1) it should contain
the entries from the children as well. Now if I could reference this view
I could simulate referencing parent and child tables easily.
What I have in mind is a hierarchy of persons all inheriting from a table
called person. Different kinds of persons have different attributes but
all have an id and name. What I want is that other tables could reference
these persons easily.

- Einar Karttunen