Re: "critical mass" reached?

From: Alex Howansky <alex(at)wankwood(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "critical mass" reached?
Date: 2001-03-13 15:23:10
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hm. As Richard remarks, 6M records is not an especially big table;
> there are people running larger ones. The leftover sorttemp files sound
> like you are suffering backend crashes --- but you didn't mention
> anything about unexpected disconnects.

I haven't noticed any myself, but the majority of our connections come from a
public web based app -- so I can't really tell if the consumer is experiencing
problems or not.

> The postmaster log would be a good place to look for more info (if
> you're not keeping one, turn it on).

I have a debug level 2 log of almost the entire day's activity. I scanned it
briefly but found nothing (it's 180 meg). Is there anything in particular I
should be looking for?

> Also, make sure the postmaster is not being run with an environment of
> "ulimit -c 0" ... if the backends are crashing, we want to get some core
> files so we can see what's happening.

Ok, will verify. Thanks.

--
Alex Howansky