Re: postgresql.conf and postgres options

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-doc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf and postgres options
Date: 2001-01-11 23:20:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oliver Elphick writes:

> 2. The following command line options to postgres don't have an equivalent in
> postgresql.conf. Is that intentional? (I suppose it is in several cases,
> and I have left out some where it is obviously intentional.) I can't see
> why these items can't be put in the configuration file:

> -C Noversion = true [not documented in postgres man page]

This option doesn't do anything.

> -D potential_Datadir = arg [set PGDATA]

This option can't be in the config file because it is used to *find* the
config file.

> -E EchoQuery = true [echo queries to log]

Hmm, there's debug_print_query. This will probably be consolidated in the
future.

> -e EuroDates = true [use European format for dates]

This should be a config file option, but Thomas Lockhart couldn't make up
his mind what to call it. ;-)

> -N UseNewLine = 0 [newline is not a query separator]

I don't think this is useful.

> -o [set stdout, stderr to file arg]

I think this is broken or not well maintained. Will be cleaned up in some
later release.